IIS + ASP + <#@Language=Python#>== performance_hit

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Feb 24 18:37:01 EST 2000

"Tom Funk" <no_spam_tdfunk at nettally.com_spam_sux> wrote in message
news:MPG.131f73d4f6fe880e98969a at news.nettally.com...

> A previous suggestion was to change the default language for the
site
> from VBScript (or JavaScript) to Python.  Did anyone try this?  Does
this
> actually work?

That would be interesting to know!

> Could
> some portion of the Python run-time be recompiling on each call
(i.e.,
> IUSR_COMPUTERNAME doesn't have write access to a directory on
PYTHONPATH
> and the .pyc files are never created)?

Highly unlikely.  No pycs need to be created for each request.  The
.pyc files should have been created at installation
(win32comext\axscript\*.pyc /s).

My guess is that Python is being reloaded each time.  But 8 seconds
still seems very slow for this.  Also, the way the code is currently
setup, Python should never actually get unloaded.

I would personally just add some debug statements to pythoncom15.dll
to report its progress.  The code already has "log to the event log"
capabilities, and would not be difficult to do.  However, this doesnt
work for your ISP, and I dont have time to do all this work (ie, the
testing/measuring) myself right now...

Mark.