Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Feb 8 10:40:31 EST 2000

In article <87ocad$to2$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <fcahoon at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Suppose that I'm one of those set-tabs-to-logical-indentation sorts of
>guys, so I set my tab width to 4, then look at this code in my editor.
>Gee, it sure _looks_ like statement4 belongs to "if condition1"!  And,
>if I convert tabs to spaces when I save, statement4 _will_ belong to "if
>condtion1".  I've just unwittingly changed the logic of the code!
>
>You may, of course, argue that this is unlikely, but it is still
>plausible enough to make me _very_ nervous.

Sure, but you *are* using source control, aren't you?  Chances are, if
this is a mistake in one part of the program, you're almost certainly
going to get a syntax error when you try to run it.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com.  If you see any links around individual
words in my posts, they have been put there in violation of copyright (most
likely by remarq.com).  I encourage you to boycott any ads you see links to.