Thanx and keep it coming. Or I'll flame some more <g>...(Re: Python sucks loud)

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Feb 12 16:44:14 EST 2000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 05:11:55PM +0000, Forget it wrote:

> > Actually, it is often far easier to adapt to a syntax that is completely
> > different, than to one that is similar but subtly different.  To much
> > "bleeding" of one domain into the other occurs if languages are too similar.

> That's true, but you know what? Somehow I really feel at ease with Perl
> (in that respect) and if it were about text, I wouldn't hesitate a
> second before using it. But I need something just a tad more procedural
> and with better types. Actually if perl allowed me to define structures,
> that'd be it.

I suggest you dig a little deeper in whatever language suits you best (or
grinds into your crotch least.) You _can_ do practically everything,
including defining complex data structures, in Perl, in various ways. You
also can do practically the same everything in Python. And in C. And in C++.
And in most 'modern' languages, the ones not older than, say, 60
years<wink>, that are extendable in one way or another. I know a guy who
writes his scripts in BASIC, (bw basic, under BSDI and Linux) using
shell-script hacks to do I/O (which bw basic can't or couldn't.) And those
scripts are _used_ in a production environment.

The limiting factor is *you*, the programmer, and your imagination. If you
dont have the sick, twisted mind necessary to do deep perl hacking, dont do
it. If you dont have the clarity of thought, abstract visualization and/or
patience to do deep Python structurization, dont bother us with it ;)

And if you can't find your own little language, build your own ;) It isn't
that hard, I mean, look around you and count the different languages. Or you
can decide that a certain language isn't all you need, but you can live with
the incompetent parts of it. Or you can offer constructive critisism,
discussing it in a friendly manner, after reading the appropriate material
(source, history files, discussions on the subject) in the appropriate
forum. The various Python SIGs are, imho, very accessible.

But flaming a newsgroup/mailinglist just because you're bored on another
lonely evening ? tsssk, tsssk ;)

Perls-structures-are-hashes--just-like-Pythons-objects-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>