Metakit Install hints?

Daniel Berlin dan at cgsoftware.com
Fri Feb 4 00:35:00 EST 2000

> Hope someone can help.
>
> I want to play with the database capabilities of metakit.
Metakit is a great thing.

> I downloaded mk-i586-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz, untarred it into
> ~/pyth/mk-i586-pc-linux-gnu

I assume this isn't a source distribution?

> The README under UNIX does not seem to have any relation to what I am
> seeing in the mk-i586-pc-linux-gnu directory. No .configure executable, no
> INSTALL.

Must not be a source distribution.

> What I really need is a short rundown on how to get metakit working with
> Python 1.5.2 No big dissertation needed.

Well, i downloaded that particular binary distribution, and it indeed
includes everything you need.
The README's are really referring to the source distribution, where you
run configure and whatnot.

Once you've extracted the tar, as you've done, everything is ready to
rock.
That directory includes all the libraries and modules you need.

You just need to grab the documentation (It's included in the source
distribution if you can't find it seperately).

I used metakit for the backend for a C++ class browser (this was back when
it was not open source), and it was amazingly quick, and nice to use.