Iterators & generators (RE: Real Problems with Python)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Feb 16 02:57:09 EST 2000

[Moshe Zadka]
> I'm a little ignorant on both the bang and the buck issues. While
> what Tim said certainly shows there's a big bang, I'm wondering
> about the buck.  Modulu Stackless, what would it take to implement
> this?

Discussions on this stretched over many months last year, beginning in about
May.  Guido developed a nearly complete implementation plan for generators
in the "Generator details" thread of July '99, in the Python-Dev archives.

And Steven Majewski pretty much actually implemented them six years ago,
then lost interest when it couldn't be extended to continuations (the
implementation of which, as Christian proved, required redefining truth
itself <wink>).

generators-coexist-peacefully-with-all-truths-ly y'rs  - tim