Files and Directories

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Feb 7 01:49:27 EST 2000

Patrick K Moorman <khadji at pld.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who answered my last question, it is good reminder that
> computers do *ONLY* what they are told.  I am trying to write a little
> script that will rename files in multiple directories.  What am a looking
> for is a way to take each item returned by os.listdir() and test to see if
> it is a file or a directory.  I have gone through the lib reference but I
> did not see anything that would work.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-os.path.html
-> os.path.isdir(path) and os.path.isfile(path)

for file in os.listdir("directory"):
    if os.path.isdir(file):
        print file, "is a directory"

also see os.path.walk().  and the os and os.path
examples in the eff-bot guide...

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the standard python library:
-->