Black holes as syntax, Was: Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Jay Graves JGRAVES3 at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 10:06:07 EST 2000

>Off topic:
>By the way, speaking of code blocks, does anyone know of any languages that
>use blocks...literally? That is, given the prevalence of GUIs, a
development
>environment/language where code is contained in rectangles?

I'm new to Python but I used to make my living by programming in a CASE tool
named 'Synon:2E' on AS/400's.  (Synon was bought by Sterling Software and
they renamed it 'Cool:2E'.  Ugh!  I can hardly make myself type that.)
Anyway it is a CASE tool that generates RPG and the application logic in
programmed in an Action Diagrammer, that looks like this.

(set to mono-spaced font to view correctly)

> Select or verify COLOR
.-CASE
¦- c1 OR (c2 AND c3)
¦ |-c1: WRK.Text 1.usr is Select
¦ |-c2: DTL.*CMD key is *Prompt
¦ |-c3: PGM.*Cursor field <IS> DTL.Color Basic Property Code
¦ '-
¦ PAR.Next Program.usr = CND.WW ARC Basic Prop
¦ WW Bas Prop Driver - HP Basic Prop X-ref  *
¦    B      Next Program.usr          = PAR.Next Program.usr
¦    I      Basic Property Type       = CND.Color
¦    B      Basic Property Code       = DTL.Color Basic Property Co
¦-*OTHERWISE
¦ RTV to Validate ARC code - HP Basic Prop X-ref  *
¦    I  RST BP Type                   = CND.Color
¦    I  RST BP Code                   = DTL.Color Basic Property Co
¦ .-CASE
¦ ¦-PGM.*Return code is *Normal
¦ ¦-*OTHERWISE
¦ ¦ Send error message - 'Basic Prop not found'
¦ ¦    I      BP Code                   = DTL.Color Basic Property
¦ '-ENDCASE
'-ENDCASE

It use a custom editor that allows collapsing ('folding' is a more common
term) of structures.  it also supports 'zooming', where you can focus in on
a construct and it hides all of the surrounding code.

This is as close as I know of.