Compiled code question

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Fri Feb 18 15:31:24 EST 2000

Hi all,

I have been noticing something odd with my python programmes when run on
Win machines.

I do all my development and most of my testing on Linux, but my users
are using Windows boxes. Each windows user has Python and the win32
python extensions installed on their machines. They also have an icon
that points to the .py file on the server.

When I copy a new version of the .py to the server I kinda thought that
the next time my users double-clicked their icons they would be running
the new code, this didn't happen. On the windows boxes, I must load the
.py into PythonWin, select the Run button, then exit my programme. Now
if the icon is double-clicked, the new code is executed. I'm sure this
has something to do with the byte code compiler and windows file
associations, but I have no idea what.

It is only a minor annoyance, but I would love to get to the bottom of
it just for my own personal edification.

Thanks.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630