Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Mon Feb 7 19:47:12 EST 2000

In article <87nmir$e7k$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <fcahoon at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Python does address some of the shortcomings of Perl -- notably, it is
>far more maintainable in a multi-developer envirionment -- despite the
>flawed decision to use whitespace as syntax.

Speaking as a programmer with more than twenty years of experience and a
Python user with less than a year of experince, it is precisely that
whitespace-based syntax that accounts for much of Python's usability in
a multi-developer environment.  Every Python program written by someone
with a jot of care has almost the same layout; this greatly enhances
readability.

I still curse regularly when I get tripped up on some whitespace
(particularly while trying to add debugging code quickly), but I think
the benefits greatly outweigh the drawbacks.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com.  If you see any links around individual
words in my posts, they have been put there in violation of copyright (most
likely by remarq.com).  I encourage you to boycott any ads you see links to.