Newbie Question about COM Objects

Jeremy Howard jeremyho at flashcom.com
Fri Feb 18 12:24:39 EST 2000

Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems finding any documentation on sending parameters to
COM objects in Python.  I've included how the object is called from VB also
I've included how I'm *trying* to call the Object from Python.

VB code that works....

Dim SiebelConf as String
Dim oSiebel as Objectt
Dim ErrCode as Integer

SiebelConf = "C:\Temp\Siebel.cfg"
Set oSiebel = CreateObject("SiebelDataServer.ApplicationObject")
oSiebel.LoadObjects SiebelConf, ErrCode

All that happens here is I call the oSiebel.LoadObjects with two parameters,
first one is a string containing the name of the file I want the load and
the second parameter is an integer filled with an error code (0 if
successful) upon completion.

When I try to do the same thing in Python I get an Error..

>>> from win32com.client import Dispatch, constants
>>> from pywintypes import com_error
>>> oSiebel = Dispatch('SiebelDataServer.ApplicationObject')
>>> SiebelConf = 'c:\\Temp\\Siebel.cfg'
>>> ErrCode = 0
>>> oSiebel.LoadObjects(SiebelConf, ErrCode)
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<COMObject SiebelDataServer.ApplicationObject>", line 2, in
LoadObjects
com_error: (-2147352571, 'Type mismatch.', None, 2)

I was under the impression that if I assign a number to ErrCode, Python
would see that variable as an Integer type.  Or maybe I'm just way off
base.. Any help would be really appreciated. :)

Jeremy Howard
jeremyho at flashcom.com