Built-in exception class not found

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Thu Feb 3 14:43:31 EST 2000

<F note="mailed and posted">

Thomas Happ wrote:
> I am attempting to install Python on our systems here at RIT.
> We're running Solaris 7.  It seems to work in most respects, but whenever
> any program is run, it displays the following message:
>
> Built-in exception class not found: EnvironmentError.  Library mismatch?
> [Warning!  Falling back to string-based exceptions
> [Python 1.5.2 (#4, Jan 14 2000, 09:18:57)  [GCC 2.95.1 19990816 (release)]
> [on sunos5
> [Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
>
> I looked through the Setup file in the Modules part of the
> installation and couldn't find any modules related to this.  I also
> checked the FAQ and the Bug report but couldn't find any similar
> problems.

quoting myself from a recent post:

    "library mismatch" means that your interpreter
    picked up an old standard library (or at least an
    old copy of exceptions.py).

    better double-check your python path.

(the path probably points to an old 1.5.1 installation)

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the standard python library:
-->