Python for Autocad - proof of concept

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Sat Feb 19 17:58:46 EST 2000

Hi all,

inspired by some recent discussion here about a hypothetical
(auto-)lisp to Python translator, I have started to lay some
of the foundations that would make such a beast useful.

Py_acad.arx is an Autocad extension that embeds Python, and
bundles a module to access internal Autocad functions from
within Python. At the moment, the Autocad side can only
access the PyRun_SimpleXXX functions, and the Python side
knows half a dozen functions from the ADS API.
However, I have found this result to be very promising.
After all, PyRun_SimpleString is all I needed to start the
Tkinter GUI of a 23 kloc Python application... ;)

I am making this public since I know that some others here
are interested in the principle. If you are among those,
you can get the sources from my starship account:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/schorsch/py_acad.html

Please tell me where I have made conceptual mistakes.
Oh, and the most important thing: If you are so much
interested that you'd like to contribute some code, that
would be very welcome as well. Though I started this
primarily for my own use in a commercial product, this
module is and will stay open source. No need to reinvent
the wheel for anyone.

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com