A comp.lang.python code snippet archive?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Tue Feb 29 05:47:42 EST 2000

Adrian Eyre wrote:
> I think more people would use sites like this if they knew about them. The
> only way at the moment to find out is to continuously read
comp.lang.python
> for a couple of years. Not everyone has the time/patience to do this.

fwiw, that's what Dr. Dobbs Python-URL is all about:

    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/

> We could also have some convention about Python snippets posted to c.l.py,
> so they can be automagically extracted and categorised.
>
> e.g.
>
> #snippet "mysnippet.py"
> #category "Networking"
> #description "This does something interesting"
> #begin
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> my_code_here()
>
> #end

ohmygod.  do you really expect people to do that?

and yes, you forgot #copyright and #author.   random
cutting and pasting from newsgroup postings may get
you into legal trouble.

btw, the faqts team is looking for volunteers to help them
populate the python knowledge base:

    http://python.faqts.com/
    http://python.faqts.com/knowledge-base/index.phtml/fid/199/lang/en

IEBHO, it's a perfect opportunity for people who wants to
actually do things, rather than talking about what they want
others to do for them.

</F>