PYTHONPATH on PC

David Smith drs at hpl.hp.com
Wed Feb 23 13:20:13 EST 2000

I'm running Python 1.5.2 on a PC and am having trouble getting it to
"import" my modules.  I copied fibo.py from the online introduction into
my directory, C:\David and try to import it.  Of course, that doesn't
work, because Python is set to come up with C:\Program Files\Python as
the working directory.  So I tried

    import os
    os.chdir('C:\David')
    import fibo

and it still can't find fibo.  There wasn't a PYTHONPATH environment
variable, so I set it locally:

    os.environ['PYTHONPATH'] = r'.;C:\David;C:\Program Files\Python\Lib'

and that didn't work.  I have found two ways to get Python to find my
module.  One is to put the module directly into C:\Program
Files\Python\Lib, but that is pretty sick.  The other is to modify
Idle's shortcut to have it start up in C:\David.  But what if I or
someone else wanted to work in a different directory?

And anyway, what is the default path on a PC when there is no PYTHONPATH
environment variable?

        David Smith