PIL Problem: New image is all black on Unix?

Thomas & Jennifer Thompson tmt1630 at cs.rit.edu
Sun Feb 20 12:58:41 EST 2000

I'm running Python v1.5.2 on Solaris 5.7 with PIL v1.0.  When I create a

new image of type "1' and size xy with either white or black pixels,
the image comes out black in both cases. So:

>>> import Image
>>> raw=Image.new("1", (20,20), 0xFF)

returns a black image which I expect to be white.

>>> import Image
>>> raw=Image.new("1", (20,20), 0x00)

returns a black image which I do expect.

Further, if I try to set a pixel to white using
ImageDraw.setink(color) and ImageDraw.point(xy),
it still comes out black.

These commands work fine on my Win95 system (Python
v1.5.1, PIL v1.0b1). Is this a known bug with PIL and Solaris
and will using the latest version of PIL for Solaris fix this?
Or did I miss something somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Thompson