functional programming

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl
Wed Feb 23 04:22:42 EST 2000

Michal Wallace (sabren) wrote in comp.lang.python:
> I guess my original question had to do with what functional
> programming looks like in the wild, and what it might look like in
> python. Aahz posted a recursive version of a fib() routine. Is this
> not what you'd want? What would fib() look like in one of the
> functional languages you're used to?

Michael Hudson posted this little bit of Haskell last week:

fib = 1 : 1 : [ a+b | (a,b) <- zip fib (tail fib) ]

I can't translate that to anything resembling Python at all. I don't
know if list comprehensions in Python will be/are this powerful.
(This is just a definition of the infinite list of Fibonacci numbers -
when you need the first 50 or so, just take the first 50 from this list).

Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
"This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but the
 overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context"  (David Moser)