mail filter in python?

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Mon Feb 7 11:49:46 EST 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> File locking isn't hard to implement, what kind of security checks do you

   There are number, look procmail's manpage for options -p, -f, -o, -m.
For portability - option -Y...

> mean? Python is portable so that's not a problem.

   Python is portable, but locking is certainly not :(

> >    It would be hard to reimplement all that from scratch :(
>
> I don't think so. Security is not an issue, the command runs under the
> right uid.

   Wrong assumption Number One! :) Sometimes procmail can be run under
different uid - due to installation requirements or just due to bugs in
mailer (MTA) and/or mailer's config.
   Procmail can be installed set-uid root - look option "-d".

   What about all procmail's knowledge of SMTP? Procmail certainly does a
good job of delivering, bouncing and error reporting. Again, I say: it
would be hard to reimplement without a lot of work and testing.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru