re AMTE thread re DrScheme & Python

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Tue Feb 1 19:38:57 EST 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

> Scheme is an excellent first language, and I've got nothing at all bad to
> say about DrScheme (except perhaps that it sure puts a heck of a lot more
> strain on my old machine than does Python <0.5 wink>).  It would be hard to
> regret teaching Scheme.  It would also be hard to regret teaching Python.

It also has a ton of amazingly cool IDE features; for example, the
value-flow-static-debugger-proof thingy MrSpidey is one of the most
clever tools I've ever seen. Writing one for Python 2.0 would be
really fun, I think. (I'd wait until 2.0 so that there is a pure
object model, but that's not strictly a necessity, I guess.)

I mean, it's so easy to use that it makes me begin to think that
Djikstra was *right* about all bugs being the result of failing to
prove the program's correctness, and that's such an obviously insane
attitude that MrSpidey must be great. :)

Neel