does opensource move faster with python?

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 28 02:21:34 EST 2000

"Michal Wallace (sabren)" wrote:

> Does opensource move faster with Python?
>
> I just surfed over to the GnuCash website. I've been waiting quite a
> while for a "real" release.. But it never seems to come.. Same thing
> with Mozilla.... I'm not trying to rag on them.. But I have to wonder:
> would development move any faster using Python to prototype these
> tools? That's the claim I keep hearing about python.. But how come
> more of the free software world isn't using it?

Ignorance is bliss ...

> ARE there projects out there using python as a prototyping language
> with the possible intention of discarding it eventually and rewriting
> in C?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Michal
> http://www.manifestation.com/         http://www.linkwatcher.com/metalog/

Isn't that the only correct intention of ALL prototyping? (Although not
necessarily with C as the target language: I regard a lot of my personal
work lately as developing prototypes in Python for eventual re-implementation
in Python).  "Python" or "python"? -- "Snake" or "snake"?

Still remember Kernighan and Plauger's advice: first make it work, then make
it work faster (if it doesn't work fast enough).

regards
 Steve
--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"