Python for Palm update

JEFFERY COLLINS collins at rushe.aero.org
Thu Feb 24 18:00:21 EST 2000

Jeff Kunce wrote:
>> I have an unreleased (alpha) python-1.5.1 port that will run on
>> PalmIII's and greater.  It runs a subset of the test suite
>
>I thought Joey Gibson's post about Pocket Smalltalk
>(www.pocketsmalltalk.com) was intriguing. It looks like you write
>smalltalk in the development environment, but it generates Palm code
>for the runtime.
>
>How does your python for palm compare to this approach?

Palm applications are built in a manner analogous to Guido's freeze
mechanism.  The target module (and possible supporting modules) is
compiled and placed in a palm resource along with PilotMain wrapper to
create a standalone palm application.  When executed, PilotMain
initializes the Python interpreter (which is stored in multiple GLib
shared libaries) and then calls the interpreter on the code stored in
the resource.  Though I haven't done it, a driver application could
be built for loading and executing a module selected from a list
stored in database.

Note that I am working on the 1.5.2+ port and will not be releasing the
1.5.1 port - it has too many problems that have now been fixed in both
python and the porting tools.

Jeff