Embed Python and Database in my C program

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Wed Feb 9 09:45:36 EST 2000

I need a simple DB engine for a C program that can be easily accessed from
both Python and C. Does anyone have any suggestions? The platforms are WinNT
and an embedded realtime Win32 variant called "Phar Lap Realtime ETS
kernel".

The problem is that any embedded (full source code) database toolkits I
could find that are either for C++ only (MetaKit) or have interfaces to C
but no Python interface. One of the reasons I like Python is that it's
implemented in no-nonsense low fat C instead of a bunch of classes. (I'm a
jaded former C++ developer who doesn't want to get back into C++ if he
doesn't have to!)

It looks like the "shelve" part of Python creates a binary on-disk
dictionary. If that's so, and you can interate through a rowset and look up
on a single key, I could live with that.

Warren Postma