This thread was almost about Python once

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Feb 1 09:11:34 EST 2000

Clarence Gardner <clarence at beach.silcom.com> wrote:
> What interpreter is so braindead as to assume that particular file
> descriptors are available when it is invoked?  And even if there are
> any, catering to them is worse than all of the Microsoft backward-
> compatibility-to-1985 hacks put together, IMNSHO.

umm.  how about catering to the Single UNIX
Specification?  the following is required to be
true for any program running under Unix:

    At program startup, three streams are predefined and need
    not be opened explicitly: standard input (for reading conventional
    input), standard output (for writing conventional output), and
    standard error (for writing diagnostic output).

    The following symbolic constants are defined for file streams:

    STDIN_FILENO
    File number of stdin. It is 0.

    STDOUT_FILENO
    File number of stdout. It is 1.

    STDERR_FILENO
    File number of stderr. It is 2.

(the last version of that spec is from 1997, and I doubt
Microsoft was involved in writing it ;-)

</F>