will python 3000 break my code?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Feb 12 23:51:46 EST 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

> [Ronald L. Dilsavor]
> > I am in the process of deciding whether to have a team of folks
> > invest in implementing our product in Python and this [presumed
> > incompatibility of Python 3000] was one of the "cons" on my list.
>
> As it should be!  Don't overvalue it, though.  For example, even if Python
> 3000 is an *entirely different language*, no C program stopped working the
> day C++ was released -- or a decade later, either.  That is, you won't be
> alone no matter what, and the current implementation of Python is
> extraordinarily clean and maintainable:  it still needs Guido's help to
> guide its evolution, but not at all to keep it running in top shape.  Many
> people understand the current implementation, and can handle that fine.  So
> if Python 3000 turns out to be wholly incompatible, I fully expect someone
> else (i.e., other than Guido) would jump in to continue work on the current
> Python line.

Not to mention that there are (at least) two alternative implementations
that do not derive from the CPython code base (i.e., they aren't forked
implementations, but *re*implementations). One of thes is sufficently
mature for production work (JPython). Plus, there is sufficient
documentation to make yet another implementation fairly straightforward.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.