will python 3000 break my code?

Ronald L. Dilsavor dilsavor at erinet.com
Thu Feb 10 23:15:09 EST 2000

> From: "Michal Wallace" <sabren at manifestation.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:32:13 -0500
> Subject: Re: will python 3000 break my code?
>
> Fredrik Lundh wrote in message ...
>
>> given that 1.6 isn't finished yet, and there will be
>> a 1.7 release after that, don't you think it's a bit
>> early to decide what to do in python 3000? ;-)
>>
>> (personally, I'd be very surprised if the changes were
>> such that old code couldn't be automatically translated).
>

> I guess that makes sense... As a programmer, I say
> bring it on... but as a businessperson, that unqualified
> statement on the website gave me the chills.. I suspect
> I'm not alone in that - what company wants to invest in
> (software) technology that may be obsolete in two years?
>
> An upgrade is one thing, but an upgrade that breaks
> stuff is dangerous... especially when there's no clear
> sign saying what to avoid...
>
> -michal
> http://www.sabren.com/

Ditto here,
I am in the process of deciding whether to have a team of folks invest in
implementing our product in Python and this was one of the "cons" on my
list. I would like to assume that automatic translators will be developed  -
but at this point its just an assumption. If nobody knows what is going to
be in 3000 then how do they know it will be incompatible?
Ron