String Search?

Tom Funk no_spam_tdfunk at nettally.com_spam_sux
Tue Feb 29 23:19:25 EST 2000

Jason:

Fred wrote:

> umm.  is that really a valid excuse for not
> having looked in the handbook? ;-)

He then gave some examples.

Then you wrote:

> I assure you I'll be visiting a book store this week, and studying
> up. :)

The handbook that Fred spoke of is part of the on-line documentation
available at the Python web site and with the Python installation -- and
it's free.

You may not need to go to a bookstore if you peruse the following page:

  http://www.python.org/doc/

The tutorial is quite complete:

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

If you work through the tutorial, it should carry you pretty far along in
your quest.  I found it to be *quite* useful.

The Library Reference discusses the modules that ship with Python.

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

In fact, the specific answer to your string search question can be found
here:

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-string.html

The Language Reference is a bit more abstract, and *much* more dry.
However, it does completely describe the core Python language constructs,
grammar and syntax.   It's often referred to as material for "Language
Lawyers."

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/ref.html

I like the Module Index:

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html

It allows you to jump straight to the module of your choice.

If you're using Win32 (as I do), then you may find the MS HTML Help
version to be useful (it's my favorite).  If you use Win32, you might
want to check out:

  http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html

Best of all, these very complete works of non-fiction are FREE.... gotta
love that!

I own five Python books, but I still find myself referring back to the
Python documentation regularly.

Thomas D. Funk                           |      "Software is the lever
Software Engineering Consultant          | Archimedes was searching for"
Advanced Systems Design, Tallahassee FL. |