JOBS: Python/Zope positions available!

Ty Sarna tsarna at sarna.org
Tue Feb 15 00:42:20 EST 2000

Wanted: Python and/or Zope developers.

Who are we?

We're a small team within the world's largest web hosting organization
(525,000 domains served).  We see our mission as being a "city planning
department" of sorts for the company.  We plan for the growth of that
community and develop the tools to make the community work through
collaboration.  Our flagship tool is a Python/ZPublisher based
request-tracking system that currently serves about 20,000 requests per
week.  We use open source software heavily and like to contribute back
to the community, as you've seen.  We expect to do even more of this in
the future.  Not only will we pay you to think up neat new stuff and write
it, but you can likely give it away.

Our team is currently at 5 people, looking to grow to 6 or 7.  Our team
is headed by a developer, not a "PHB". Two of us are developers, the
other three handle system administration, process consulting, training, etc.
However, we all do a little bit of everything.  We're looking for
one strong developer, and one person with some mix of
consultant/developer/admin capabilities.

We strive to be a closely knit team and the nature of our work requires
that we work in the same place most of the time, so relocation to the
sunny Boca Raton, FL area is required. Poor you. :-)

We provide Medical, Dental, 401k, bonuses and options, etc. EOE.

The developer applicant should have significant Python and/or Zope
experience.  The following technical knowledge and skills would be
beneficial (We don't expect anyone to know all or even half of this, but
flexibility and willingness to learn new things, including things not on
this list or which haven't been invented yet, is important.  We work on
a variety of projects, so adaptability and a certain
jack-of-all-tradesness is a key quality):

 * Python
 * Zope
 * ZPublisher/Bobo (independent of Zope)
 * OO design skills
 * SQL
 * LDAP
 * XML-RPC, CORBA, or SOAP
 * Experience building web-based applications
 * HTML design
 * Knowledge of workflow automation principles
 * Threaded programming
 * GUI and visual design
 * System administration experience, especially Unix and Sybase.
   Knowledge of a variety of Unix-derived OSes is a plus.
 * Ability to write technical documentation
 * Javascript (especially in relation to DTML)
 * C (especially in relation to Python)

The consultant/trainer/admin position should have have some technical
skills plus strong networking skills (in the "with people" sense) and
verbal and written communications skills, the ability to figure out
requirements for systems (not only computer systems, but systems of
people and procedures), figure out how people do, would, and should use
them, explain them, document them, train people on them, figure out what
works and what doesn't, and generally see the "big picture".

Applicants for either position would greatly benefit from having
qualities of the other.

Interested? Please email privately to Phillip J. Eby
<pje at telecommunity.com> with your resume, and more importantly with a
brief description of your qualifications as relevant to the above.
Also, please include your salary requirements.

--
Ty Sarna               "Clowns are raining down. Hear the scream of the
tsarna at sarna.org        greasepaint. Danger! Clown puddles." -Tom Servo