[Doc-SIG] Monty: A structured text syntax idea

Michal Wallace sabren at manifestation.com
Sun Feb 6 22:27:38 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl wrote in message
<20000203160900.A1029 at stopcontact.palga.uucp>...

>I don't like it. For blocks its okay, but for inline thinks it - sucks.
>In tag language (XML etc.), things get nested much too deep to use this
>proposal. And blocks are much longer. It should be clear what tag is
>closed. I don't like it.

I missed the first half of this, so I don't know if this is relevant or not,
but I
use emacs outline mode a lot, and I came up with a "shorthand" version
of XML that looks like this:

* root
** somenode
this is the text of somenode
** somenode attr="whatever"
another node
** shortnode /
** somenode
*** subnode
this is the subnode

this can be translated into XML via a python filter at:

http://www.sabren.com/code/python/o2x.py

- michal
sabren at manifestation.com