Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:07:07 EST 2000

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

[snip]
> And anyhow, you can get most of the benefits of smalltalk from Python,

Not true in my experience. Smalltalk IDE's still lead by miles. Speed is
higher. More commercial support (if you want that sort of thing).

> with a more traditional syntax and most of the benefits of common lisp
> from Dylan (e.g.)

Are these experience based arguments or just hand waving?

[snip]

> You can't get a good free smalltalk implementation because not enough
> programmers want to get involved with the development. That's because of
> the smalltalk "reinvent the wheel" attitude and its weird syntax.

There are several excellent free (in various senses) Smalltalks. There
are some Smalltalks that integrate better than others. Some people
*want* a "single world" approach, and some smalltalks accomodate them.

But this no longer has anything to do with anything serious. Your claims
are as unsupported, vague, and generally lacking as specifics as the
anti-whitespace guy. Why persist? What's the point?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.