Python and Samba

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Feb 10 21:30:54 EST 2000

Hi All--

Aahz, The Great and Terrible, wrote:

> In article <38A33CA3.CD301863 at kpnqwest.no>,
> Stein M. Eliassen <steinme at kpnqwest.no> wrote:
> >
> >I wonder if there is a way to use samba services from python?
> >
> >What I would like to do is browse shares from Python code.
> >Now I have to mount the share in a script before running the my python
> >code.
>
> Hmmmm...  I'm doing some WAGing here, but it seems to me that the
> fundamental problem is that you really need to have a UNC and/or Win32
> environment in order to browse Samba shares.  If you were running Python
> on NT, this wouldn't be an issue, I think.  So the fundamental problem
> isn't a Samba library per se, but the SMB client for Unix.
>
> Put that way, you might be able to find something a little easier.

One exists, although it is not written in Python.  The latest versions
of Samba come with an smb client, which does indeed let you mount PC/NT
shares as a file system.  It works quite well, too.  The last two
versions of Red Hat (6.0 and 6.1) have included Samba versions late
enough to have this feature.

<some-wheels-are-already-round-enough>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org and
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours