will python 3000 break my code?

Michal Wallace sabren at manifestation.com
Thu Feb 10 01:10:01 EST 2000

Hey all,

   I noticed this just recently on http://www.python.org/1.5/ ...

> The new release schedule provides for a 1.7
> release later in 2000 (or early 2001); after that,
> we'll be working on "Python 3000" (the new code
> name for the grand Python redesign; the language
> will be incompatible).

I did a search for "Python 3000" on the SIGS, and came
up with only a handful of hits... It looked like maybe
the import style and type checking might change, but
from what I could tell, everyone wanted to avoid
breaking old scripts...

"The language will be incompatible"  seems like kind
of a dangerous statement to be making without
backing it up... As much as I love python, for example,
I can't very well recommend using it if everything I
write will have to be thrown out in a year or two.

Anyone know what, specifically, will not be compatible,
and compared to what? :)

-Michal
http://www.sabren.com/