Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Tim Ottinger tottinge at concentric.net
Fri Feb 11 11:53:25 EST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:03:45 -0500, bparsia at email.unc.edu (Bijan
Parsia) wrote:

>Quinn Dunkan <quinn at zloty.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Ok, this is getting a bit OT, but what the hey:

And slightly moreso due to me, I fear...

>> This is a good expression of my problem with smalltalk.  I like the language,
>> I'm impressed with squeak, but I don't see how I can use it.  The first
>> problem is that I don't want to use the built-in editor, I have my own tools
>> and I prefer them for a reason.
>
>Sure. It drives me nuts when I *can't* use em :)

Python without GVIM? <shiver>

That reminds me -- I need to go into GVIM and compile it for Python
scripting. Has anyone tried much extensive GVIM/Python programming?
I'm wondering if it makes a good Python IDE. The python IDES I know
of use their own editors, but those aren't as powerful (or familiar,
frankly) as GVIM.

>I think I answered this in another post, but GNU Smalltalk and Little
>Smalltalk (which is not active, AFAIK) aim at this. As I said, the ANSI
>standard deliberately moved away from *requiring* a image/vm approach,
>and indeed, made it possible to write conforming (and thus portable)
>programs that will run in an image and in, I guess, an interpreter of
>some sort. This isn't a huge priority for me since I'm more interested
>in the virtual image approach, but making a "smalltalk scriping system"
>is certainly doable.

A fine idea would be if it just exported the part you wanted to edit,
called your editor, and then re-imported automagically. Better if it
can be done via menu click and/or keystroke.

Heck, I'd like that for Python IDEs, even command lines. Sort of like
the ksh commands to edit history lines... hmmm....

Tim (not-that-one-but-ottinger-ly)