Problem distributing a Gadfly app

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Jan 10 16:47:03 EST 2000

calishar wrote:

>   I am just in the finishing off stage of an application for work
>   that
> uses the gadfly database package. I am trying to build an
> installable application using installer (from Gordon Macmillan?)
> and running into a problem.
>
>   The application builds alright, but when I install it on the
>   other
> machine, and go to run it, it fails.
>
>   After re-building with the debug flag on, use runw off, and
>   support
> on, I saw that it is trying to load the sql.mar file from the c:
> drive. Well, it ain't there. If I try to add the sql.mar file to
> the dependencies line of the cfg file, builder fails, if I add it
> to the includes line it fails.

Try the misc= option of the INSTALL section.

Both options you tried are for the PYZ, which consists only of
pure Python. (The dependencies option tracks dependencies,
the include option doesn't).

As I recall, the sql.mar file has to end up in the right place for
gadfly to find it. You may have to struggle some with gadfly to
figure out where it expects to find it. Once you've done that,
you'll need to put it there at installation time. So your install
script should say something like (assuming you use
gen_install as a model):

grammarfile = this.extract('sql.mar')[1]
f = open(os.path.join(idir, gadlfypath, 'sql.mar'), 'wb')
f.write(grammarfile)

where "this" and "idir" are things gen_install figured out, and
"gadflypath" is what you figured out.

- Gordon