If you can only buy *one* Python book...

phil at ricochet.net phil at ricochet.net
Tue Jan 18 02:17:52 EST 2000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:47:59 +0100, Gerrit Holl
<gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:

>Paul E. Bible wrote on 948064265:
>> I found 'Learning Python' to be very easy to read and a great book to get
>> started programming in Python...
>
>Agreed.
>
>> The 'Python Essential Reference' is a good addition to the online
>> documentation as well.
>
>Disagreed. I think the online reference is far the best and most
>complete there is. You don't need any other book than 'Learning Python';
>you aren't going to *read* the library reference, are you?
>Maybe the first few chapters on builtin-types and common modules like os,
>string (obsolete in 1.6), sys, and knowing about glob, rexec and
>MimeWriter can also be useful, but *reading* it as a whole... no.

I don't know about 'Python Essential Reference', but i really do agree
that  the online documentation is excellent. Since i use "Widows", the
pythlp.chm works as a very usable reference.

>> I found 'Programming Python' somewhat difficult to follow myself.
>Agreed.

It seemed a strange book as i thought it started off well for the
first couple of chapters  and then seemed to lose it and wander off
into some GUI hell. Thought it might just be me since i'm really after
Python because of its scripting capabilities.

phil.

The world is divided into two sorts of people:
Those that believe the world is divided into
two sorts of people and those that don't.