In defence of the two-namespace rule

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Jan 23 17:49:05 EST 2000

Edward Welbourne wrote:

> So, yes, this is a matter of taste: the two-namespace rule is an emetic
> to some, to whom I would commend Algol as a language to use instead of
> python; but to pythoneers, the two-namespace rule is harmonious,
> beautiful and kind to the garbage-collector.  Treat the humblest of thy
> servants kindly, lest they rise up and smite thee with just zeal.

"To some, our current policy towards health care is a immoral and to
those I would suggest Cuba, or perhaps Canada. But to Americans, the
health care if you can afford it policy is harmonius, beautiful and kind
to our budget."

I'm having trouble with your last sentence but then I didn't quite
understand its significance in the original context. Nevertheless I like
it. Do you have a reference for it?

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998