database connectivity

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 28 15:21:20 EST 2000

"David Metzler" <davidm at softdesigns.com> writes:

> I love what I have seen so far of Python. I am in serious need of
> guidance however. I spend a couple of nights till the wee hours and
> have run into a block. What I want to do is create some python
> database programs that will work on Windows 98/NT and on Linux.

You may want to have a look at http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/. The
DB SIG is developing a standard API for Python database drivers, and
also collects database-related information.

There is a number of DB API compliant database modules available, just
pick one that fits your intended database. Ideally, your code will be
portable even if you switch databases. In addition to traditional DB
systems, you could also consider Gadfly, which is a database written
in Python itself.

If you run into specific problems, and can't get a specific response
in this group, you may want to ask on the SIG list as well.

Hope this helps,
Martin