concurrency in Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Jan 29 15:36:48 EST 2000

[posted & mailed; added Python's Thread-SIG]

[Greg Wilson]
> Hi.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's ever built a
> concurrency toolkit for Python that used a model other than
> threads + locks --- futures, tuple spaces, active expressions,
> concurrent aggregates, actors, or anything else.

At the 6th Python Conference, Michael Papathomas and Anders Andersen
presented their research on "Concurrent Object-Oriented Programming in
Python with ATOM", a capable experimental framework based (roughly) on
inheritable synchronization constraints.  The full paper is available here:

    http://www.python.org/workshops/1997-10/proceedings/atom/atom.html

Of course, Java's recent offshoot of Linda's tuple spaces should be
available thru JPython.

Let us know if you turn up anything else!  Most thread activity in the
Python world has been on the commercial side, where threads+locks is "it"
for the usual lowest common denominator reasons.

mix-'em-in-with-floating-point-and-it's-an-unbeatable-
    enabler-of-late-night-debugging<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim