Python in Corel Linux

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Fri Jan 7 21:16:39 EST 2000

    J> I just installed Corel Linux ("standard" version on CD) on a PC
    J> where I can also boot Win98, and as a Windows refugee I was
    J> very pleased to see how easy it was to access my Windows file
    J> system, read floppies, etc.  Only problem is -- it seems that
    J> Corel left Python out of the distribution!

Ack! Bad Corel! They certainly didn't make it easy for developers, eh?

    J> Has anybody out there installed Python in Corel Linux, and if
    J> so are there any tricks to getting it set up and working?

Since Corel Linux is really just Debian Linux in disguise, it comes
with a wonderful tool called "apt-get" that will automatically install
python things for you.

Just run (as root)

# apt-get update
# apt-get install python

I don't know how Corel Linux comes configured, but this *should* work
out of the box. If it doesn't, make sure your system has a file
/etc/apt/sources.list that looks something like:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

You can even install pgp and ssh this way, using apt-get!

I believe Corel has a GUI front-end to all this, called System Update
or Package Update or something, if you fear the command-line. Dive
through their menus to find it.

Feel free to email me if you need any more help!

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters Y and S and the number 0.
"Elate means having wings."