MySQL

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 2 13:54:07 EST 2000

Simon Faulkner <News at titanic.co.uk> wrote:
> Confused - I am!

> I have written a lovely little database stored in MySQL that has a
> Python front end and uses MySQLdb through _mysql on SuSE with MySQL
> 3.27 - Fine.  All on my Sony laptop development machine.

> Now I am trying to put it onto my RH6 production server I try to build
> the MySQLdb-0.1.1 and it reports that it needs _mysql.  Where do I get
> this from?

> If it is part of MySQL then where is it?  I have the client, server,
> benchmarks and devel loaded.

> Is there a simple overall explanation of databases in Python anywhere?

As far as I know, everything is simply in the MySQLdb-0.1.1 tarball -
if you were to unpack it, build it (after checking for local variations,
I had to do some fiddling due to the places SuSE installs stuff in. The
file _mysqlmodule.c defines the _mysql module, really.

Is this database thing of yours available for looking at? I've noticed
a lot of questions about MySQL and Python lately, and having worked on
one or two apps myself, I though about collecting ideas and writing a
short paper or tutorial on the subject - you know, pinching ideas here
and there, digesting and then regurgitating the mess, before presenting
it to the web...

Interesting points in doing stuff with Python and databases are time
and dates (a perennial problem - even when you're simply working with
VB or Delphi and Oracle), numerical formats (ditto, especially when,
after applying the Microsoft millennium patch the number decimal
conversion is broken), and of course decent design.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org