Python Rocks!

Stephen Coursen talon at coursen.ifu.net
Wed Jan 19 19:56:45 EST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:43:43 -0800, tye4 <tye4 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> wrote in message >
>
>> Don't code that way to start with.  It's dumb.  Treat yourself to a good
>> editor.
>>
>Better yet. Fix the dumb language.

As a confused newbie, what gives you the experience to declare Python to be
a "dumb" language?  Simply because *you* can't figure out the syntax?  It's
not that hard, especially if you have a good editor that handles the
indentation for you.  You're just too blockheaded to figure this simple fact
out.

>> You got about as much chance of getting this into Python as you do of
>> getting hit by a meteor.  Less, actually, because the odds for the
>> latter are measurable.  What you're asking for is for Python to not be
>> Python.  You don't like it, design your own language, build the
>> interpreter or compiler, and publish it.  Maybe you can get some people
>> to use it.  One of them won't be me.
>>
>> You're saying to people who know and love Python, "Python is a great
>> language except that it's Python.  Let's fix it."  We don't think it's
>> broken.  Your insistence on swimming upstream on this issue is not only
>> wrong-headed but boring.
>>
>Python is good but could be better.

But not necessarily syntax-wise.  The chosen syntax is clean, workable, and
readable.  Why change it?

>Everything has flaws and nothing is perfect. If we can't fix it then its a
>different
>matter. But in this case the problem can be fixed. It just so happens that
>there
>are a lot of bull-headed close-minded people than I reckoned there would be.
>I'm pretty certain now that this problem will never be fixed.

Hopefully, you're correct on this point.  Python don't need none of yer
style of fixin'

>I suggest you go to other newsgroups and let them know how brilliant Python
>is
>because it has an invisible block terminator.
>
>Since we are so lazy let's just skip the ending anything and just use
>indentation.
>
>Math:
>Before:
>    (2 + 3) * 5
>
>After Python rule:
>    (2 + 3
>            * 5
>
>C:
>Before:
>    if (x == 5)
>    {
>        printf("blah\n");
>    printf("blah blah");
>
>HTML:
>Before:
>    <h1> Python indentation: <i>Why it is such a pain</i>
>   </h1>
>    Blah blah blah
>
>After:
>    <h1> Python indentation
>            <i> Why it is such a pain
>    Blah blah blah
>
>Go ahead and convince these guys to switch do it the "Python Way".
>And Good luck. You will need it.

Oh, shut up.
<plonk>

Steve

Stephen Coursen                      talon at coursen.ifu.net
If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.