Python and ASP

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jan 5 22:05:24 EST 2000

Microsoft have defined an API called "Active Scripting", that allows
applications to host scripting languages, without actually knowing the
languages they are hosting. Microsoft provide a number of Active
Scripting applications - ASP, IE4 and 5, WSH and one or 2 others. They
also provide 2 active scripting languages - VBScript and JScript.
Naturally, the MS languages are most popular with MS applications.

Python supports active scripting as soon as you install
win32all-???.exe. Then, any Active Scripting application also supports
Python.

However, each application defines an object model - ie, ASP, WSH and
IE all have different object models. Thus, VBScript code written for
ASP will not work under WSH or IE, etc. In the same way, Python code
written for ASP will not run under IE, WSH or even standard
Python.exe.

Hope this makes sense - look for the samples when you install win32all

Mark.

"Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk> wrote in message
news:387351CA.1EA77B30 at gssec.bt.co.uk...
> Mark Hammond wrote:
> > No - you can do Python in ASP.
>
> Care to elaborate?
>
> > Not really.  Python programs running under ASP make extensive use
of the ASP
> > object model, and hence won't work outside an ASP environment.
>
> Again, how is that done? Any Web pages you can reference?
> I don't see any ASP references on python.org
>
> > Just like
> > VBScript or JScript code designed for ASP wont work outside of
ASP.

> On a (tangentially) related theme has anyone written whatever
> plumbing is needed to make python work under
> Windows Scripting Host? MS do VBscript and JScript and
> mention a Perl version available for download.
> Is there a Python one?
> I know the pythonwin extensions render it semi redundant
> but it would be nice to keep up with the Jones :-)
>
> > including those sent to mailing lists).  4 spams per week, and I
have been
> > using a unprotected email address on Usenet for years and years.
What