JPython getting a good IDE! NetBeans (Forte CE) to support JPython!

RICKHIGH rickhigh at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 17:00:07 EST 2000

NetBeans (Forte CE) to support compiling JPython code in IDE.

NetBeans said the above at the Java Live dicussion regarding "Forte for Java
Community Edition." at JavaTM Live during the Forté for Java Community Edition
January 11, 2000.

The speakers Christine Bodo (Christine Bodo), Ian Formanek (Ian Formanek).

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2000/jl011
2-print.html

Partial Transcript:

Rick Hightower (Question):
 "A few weeks back you had a poll on your NetBeans website that spoke about
adding support for JPython.

   What kind of support do you plan to add for JPython?
   (Do you plan) scripting for NetBeans IDE? (GOOD)
   (Or) An extension that compiles and runs JPython? (BETTER)
   (JPython is a free language that compiles and runs in the JavaTM Virtual
Machine1(JVM)"

Ian Formanek (Answer):

languages people use most. The addition of scripting to the IDE is planned as
an extension, which would address *both* of the usages you mentioned. Actually,
once you do one, the second is for free. "
(End Transcript)

Is that Cool Beans?

Check out the full transcript:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2000/jl011
2-print.html

Additional

Rick Hightower:

"Excellent, I am glad to hear that you are adding JPython support for Forté CE.
I know I will use it. I think JPython is great! Having an IDE that supports it
and allows compiling and integrating is great (idea). Do have plans to support
any other languages that compile or run in the JVM? Rhino (JavaScript)?, Bistro
(Smalltalk)?, Skij (Scheme)?, etc."
"Also there are versions of JSP that work with Python (JPython) and JavaScript.
Will your JSP support other JSP languages?"

Ian Formanek:
"Regarding Rick's question about other languages: there are currently no plans
to provide such support in the basic version, but one of the nice effects of
the Open APIs is that any 3rd party, being it a company or a Linux opensource
team or a single developer, can very easily write new add-on modules to the
IDE. And the stuff you mentioned is very good example of things that may be
supported by other parties."

End Transcript

BTW For those who do not know Netbeans is a Java IDE maker that was bought out
by Sun. Sun is offering a free IDE via NetBeans called the Forte Community
Edition (CE) IDE (or something like that). They had a poll a few weeks ago
about scripting languages and JPython won by a landslide. To find out more
about netbeans and Forte CE go to http://www.netbeans.com/.

Does anyone know when NetBeans will add this support?

--Rick Hightower