Which Python book?

Art Pollard pollarda at lextek.com
Tue Jan 25 14:42:21 EST 2000

Here is my $0.02 worth on the various Python books.

Programming Python:  Not particularly good.  Not worth the $$$.  I'm sure
I'll
   find a use for my copy but I haven't found it yet.

Quick Python: Great Book!  I really like it it is well done, sections are
well explained.
  My only gripe is that it is too short.  I'd love to see the author flush
it out so that it
   is as long as Programming Python with the same clear style and
explanations.

Learning Python: Good book.  I found that it explained things well but
tended to
   gloss over some subjects and leaving me wondering....

Python Esential Reference: Excellent Book!  I highly recommend it.  Between
 Quick Python and PER, I'd say you would have the core of what it takes to
learn
  Python.

Of course, I am just learning Python myself.  It is funny to me that the
O'Reilley books
seemed to come up short on this one.  Usually, they are pretty good.   I'd
also like to
see a good explanation somewhere about how to use IDLE and techniques for
writing / debugging Python programs since Python's development tools are a
tad
rougher to the nice IDE's I'm used to.  (So I'm spoiled.... :-)

-Art