Python native compiler on NT

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jan 14 10:31:47 EST 2000

Ben wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I tried the "Installer". However, to run
> the "compiled" .exe file, say xyz.exe, you have to copy xyz.exe and
> zlib.pyd to current directory before you can run it. Some how putting
> xyz.exe and zlib.pyd in a directory in the PATH, and run xyz.exe from
> another directory will have a error message something like:
>
>    cannot load zlib.pyd
>
> Do you know what's the problem?

In a very early release, it only worked when the exe was in the
current directory. However, for some time the python path has
been constructed from the exe's directory, (unless you're
running from R/O media, in which case things get extracted to
the temp dir and run from there). All pyds and dlls do have to
be in the exe's directory (Standalone and Simple) or in the
attached archive (Freeze - this is the only one that will work
from a CDROM).

The help page has instructions for debugging, or I can usually
figure it out from Builder.log and the (exact) error message.

- Gordon