Looking for Solaris 2.6/Python 1.5.2 make test fix

Larry W. Virden lvirden at cas.org
Sat Jan 22 15:18:17 EST 2000

From: Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>
> Something probably went wrong with building your Python binary. Can you
> start the python executable ? do you get the prompt ? Can you execute code ?

Yes, I can start the executable and I get the prompt.  I don't know about
the execute code - as far as I can tell.  Only the one Lib test fails -
I assume there's more python code than that that executes during make test.

> computer, or you built a buggy module statically. How were you building it ?
> Which version of python was it, how did you run 'configure' and what did you
> change to Modules/Setup ? (You *do* need to change a few things in there.)

I don't know what "how was I building it" means.  If you mean "what
arguments to configure did I provide", it was:
$ /ldatae/Misc/python/Python-1.5.2/configure  --program-prefix=g --target=sparc-sun-solaris2.6 --prefix=/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6 --exec-prefix=/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6 --with-gnu-gettext --with-rx --with-curses=/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/lib --with-shared --with-profile --enable-nls --x-includes=/usr/openwin/include --x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-x --with-threads

As for 'changes to Modules/Setup', I modified the Modules/Setup.local - do
you really want me to send that whole thing to the list?  It's 176 lines!

> > lvirden at cas.org wrote:
> > >
> > > When I configure then do a make all and then make test, Python core dumps:
> > >
> > > rm -f /ldatae/Misc/python/Python-1.5.2/Lib/test/*.py[co]
> > > PYTHONPATH= ./python /ldatae/Misc/python/Python-1.5.2/Lib/test/regrtest.py
> > > Bus Error - core dumped
> > > make: [test] Error 138 (ignored)
> > > PYTHONPATH= ./python /ldatae/Misc/python/Python-1.5.2/Lib/test/regrtest.py
> > > Bus Error - core dumped
> > > make: *** [test] Error 138
>
> The same goes for solaris, though i cannot be 100% certain that it works
> there -- haven't installed Python on the one solaris box we have (but
> that'll change if we start using it) but it would strike me as preposterous
> if it should fail to work ;) The same goes here, however. Did you build any
> things statically ? What happens if you build them dynamically ? Can you
> possibly then start python, but not import that specific module ?

I typed make distclean; configure; make all.  If anything 'made statically'
it would be something that configure wanted built that way.  Same for the
info about 'make dynamically' - I did nothing to the Makefiles - so however
they were built, that's what got compiled.  As for 'not importing that
specific module' - I'm a novice to Python, so I don't know what 'module'
that test is invoking.  Seems to be related to regular expressions (perhaps
GNU's rx library?)

> Other helpful hints towards the problem: Did you get any warnings during
> compilation ? (Especially the optional modules -- you may have given the
> wrong library directory for linking, for instance, or linking with the wrong
> library version, compared to the include files.) If either of you can't
> figure it out and need a hand, feel free to mail me with the additional info
> (or the list, if you think the wonderful spam is suitable for this bunch o'
> vikings ;)

No warnings during compilation.
--
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden at cas.org><http://www.usenix.org/events/tcl2k/>