Python not a Very High-Level Language?

Guy Murphy guy-murphy at easynet.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 00:43:14 EST 2000

Hi.

With reference to the articles comments...

"Finally, if a program's source is defined using <method>, <parameter>, and
<block> tags, then individual programmers can choose whatever superficial
appearance they want."

..One might consider the direction that Microsofts
HTAs/Scriptlets/Behaviours are taking, as a step in this direction.

Yes one might say that it's just another rehash of an IDL, but I believe
that its aim is slightly different...I'll avoid commenting further, as I'm
likely to move into vague touchy feely territory :)

I agree with the desirablitity of seperating logic from structure and
perhaps what we are looking at is the rather simple solution of providing
clear means to describe structure within the language. Perhaps the same
attention to detail in this area that is traditional given to logic and flow
description is necessary, especially in the area of interface defination.

No bold assertions being made on my part, as I'm a self confessed
lightweight wandering into this area from Web development.

Also as a sidenote while musing in this direction (and probably because of
my development background) I'd like to see better support event-like
behaviour in a language. Not entirely sure what, maybe something like...

WHEN this_thing > that_thing:
    do_something()

...<shrug> seems to me that respone to occurences (aka events :) is a pretty
major concern in a lot of areas, and is poorly addressed. To my mind it's
this sort of thing that would warrant the title VHLL, where a major area of
repetitive handling is addressed by the language.

I'll shut up now before I get way over my head :P

Cheers
    Guy