Python Rocks!

John Kochmar kochmar at pitfiend.psc.edu
Tue Jan 18 17:11:52 EST 2000

In article <948195584.987404 at news.adtranzsig.de>,
 "Dirk-Ulrich Heise" <hei at adtranzsig.de> writes:
|> tye4 schrieb in Nachricht <860ftk$bas at news.or.intel.com>...
|> >Indentation is a confusing and lame way to separate what is inside a block
|> >and what's outside it.
|>
|> I'm irritated by the subject.
|> The indentation complaint re-occurs every week,
|> but this is the first time it comes packaged with the
|> subject line "Python rocks!"
|>
|> Get used to it, and don't use tabs.

Why not?  I use tabs all the time (I was indenting my pascal code in a
python-like style in the early 80's, and have carried that over to C,
shell scripts, etc.)  Heck, I even mix tabs and spaces (although, the
later is almost exclusively to add a try/except block to an existing
script indented with tabs ;^)

BTW, I'm a dinosour who likes to vi, and hates when an editor sees that
I've hit a tab and says to itself "gee, he hit a tab, so he must really
want N spaces, so I'll silently replace it for him..."  If I hit a tab,
darn it, I MENT a tab.

John 'I like tabs' K