Python and ArcView GIS

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson.nospam at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 12 23:55:57 EST 2000

Bernhard Reiter wrote in message
<85hs33$4t9$2 at newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>...

>Sounds interesing.
>Why do you need to embed python in ArcView?
>Would it not be enough to just use the COM objects with python's
>win32com.client?

Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to.  :-)  I didn't mean to imply that
ArcView would bestow this benefit on Python.  I meant the opposite: Without
Python, ArcView doesn't have any way to deal with COM objects.  With Python
(and win32com), it does have a way.  So your suggested alternative is
exactly what I meant in the first place!

>Thanks for sharing your work in any way, though.
>I hope you will license it as free software.

It is definitely free software.  The license will be BSD-style.

Cheers,
Bruce