License Question: Embedding Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Mon Jan 24 20:27:04 EST 2000

[Mark Klink]
> I want to embed Python in a commercial application (binary
> only) ...
> The Python License requires that the copyright and permission
> notices in the original code appears in supporting
> documentation.  Thus, the documentation will include the
> following text:
> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
> and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is
> hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice
> appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and
> this permission notice appear in supporting documentation ..."
>
> Could you help me understand how I can satisfy the spirit of
> the Python License requirements without comprising the
> commercial nature of the product or confusing the copyright of
> the overall application where we do not give permission to
> copy, modified and distribute the overall application?

I suspect Usenet is the worst place on earth to seek legal advice <0.5
wink>.

There's certainly no GPL-ish "copyleft" *intent* in the Python license (see
http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html for confirmation).  At worst,
what's wrong with stuffing the quoted text into the docs, indented, and
preceded by a paragraph explicitly saying that what follows applies only to
the Python subsystem?  If that worries you too, you had better see an actual
lawyer <wink>.  The true intent of the license appears to be to prevent CWI
and CNRI from getting sued "no matter what".

the-number-of-lawsuits-involving-python's-license-so-far:0-ly
    y'rs  - tim