Python online docs are great!

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Jan 28 10:36:02 EST 2000

Kolosov, Victor writes:
 > How do we persuade him to do the same to Zope documentation which really
 > needs it.

  I'm not familliar enough with Zope to do much there, and changing
*that* would be fairly difficult.
  Seriously, what I'm doing often is not *creating* documentation from
scratch but integrating contributed material, providing some editorial
consistency, and supporting the conversions to usable output formats.
When I create new content it's often in response to specific questions
or messages stating that something in the documentation is missing,
misleading, or wrong.  To get good documentation for Zope, someone
needs to start by writing bad documentation for Zope, and then handle
requests for improvements and integration of contributed material.
It's not a full-time job, but can be very disruptive of things which
are.  ;)  And the initial bad documentation can be time-consuming to
create as well; I was lucky someone beat me to that!  (Ok, it wasn't
all bad; Guido's original docs were some of the best I'd seen for free
software at the time, and still would compare very well.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>