Finite State Machines (was "Re: control structures (was "Re: Sins")")

Darrell darrell at dorb.com
Thu Jan 6 21:25:24 EST 2000

From: "Skip Montanaro"
>Yup...  Check out
>    http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/python/

Would have book marked your page, but I already had.
Have you made good use of your FSM class ?

There's a real-time case tool called Object Time that uses hierarchical
state machines that are pretty neat. My broken half backed Python version.
http://www.dorb.com/darrell/FSM/
Too many features maybe.

I was thinking about an extension class that could make transitions at a
high rate. The configuration of the states and transitions would occur in
Python.

Funny this came up because today someone asked me to write a tool to analyze
such a statemachine. And force it though it's states and transitions, to at
least prove that the contained code won't blow up. It's also distributed
across a bunch of microcontrollers, just to make it hard.

--Darrell